Also Known As
- Meteorological Control/Meteorological Manipulation
- Weather Bending/Weather-Bending/Weatherbending
- Weather Control/Weather Manipulation
This is the ability to psychically control weather-based atmospheric phenomena.
One with this ability can psychically generate clear skies, cloudy skies, winds, rain, lightning, thunder, fog, etc, at will. In addition, one can psychically generate wind storms, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, hail storms, cold waves, heat waves, drought, etc, at will. Furthermore, one can psychically amplify or prolong existing weather conditions, at will. One can also psychically suppress or negate existing weather conditions, as well as prevent potential weather conditions, at will. One could even psychically manipulate electricity, air/wind, water vapor, ice and heat/temperature individually, at will.
The most common restriction for an Atmokinetic lies in the fact that the atmosphere is a delicate balance. The water cycle and surrounding climate conditions, among numerous other atmospheric factors, determine what elements are available to use. For example, if the area is experiencing a severe drought, the user might have a tough time summoning forth flash flood conditions; it might not be entirely impossible, depending on the user's power level, but it would take a bit longer than if the moisture were already available in the surrounding air.
- Weather Immunity: Often, Atmokinetics are able resist, if not totally withstand, the effects of exposure to temperature extremes (freezing or burning), as well as electrical damage.
- Weather Perception: Helps to more accurately manipulate weather patterns, as well as perceiving the effects of one's powers on the environment.
- Marco Mardon/Weather Wizard (The Flash, DC Comics)
- Mark Mardon/Weather Wizard (The Flash, DC Comics)
- Ororo Munroe/Storm (X-Men, Marvel Comics)
- Sarah Rainmaker/Rainmaker (Gen¹³, Wildstorm Comics/Image Comics)
- This ability derives its name from the Greek word ἀτμός (atmós, “vapor”); however, the term for the literal manipulation of vapor and steam is the similarly-named Atmidokinesis; instead, the 'Atmo' in Atmokinesis refers to the manipulation of atmospheric conditions (specifically, weather-based conditions, throughout different regions of the atmosphere).